2. How did you use automating testing tools in your job?
1. For regressio testing
2. Criteria to decide the condition of a particular build
3. Describe some problem that you had with automating testing tool.
The problem of winrunner identifying the third
party controls like infragistics control.
4. How do you plan test automation?
1. Prepare the automation Test plan
2. Identify the scenario
3. Record the scenario
4. Enhance the scripts by inserting check points and Conditional Loops
5. Incorporated Error Hnadler
6. Debug the script
7. Fix the issue
8. Rerun the script and report the result.
5. Can test automation improve test effectiveness?
Yes, Automating a test makes the test process:
6. What is data - driven automation?
Testing the functionality with more test cases becomes laborious as the
functionality grows. For multiple sets of data (test cases), you can execute
the test once in which you can figure out for which data it has failed and
for which data, the test has passed. This feature is available in the WinRunner with the data driven test where the data can be
taken from an excel sheet or notepad.
7. What are the main attributes of test automation?
software test automation attributes :
Maintainability - the effort needed to update the test automation suites for
each new release
Reliability - the accuracy and repeatability of the test automation
Flexibility - the ease of working with all the different kinds of automation
Efficiency - the total cost related to the effort needed for the automation
Portability - the ability of the automated test to run on different
Robustness - the effectiveness of automation on an unstable or rapidly
Usability - the extent to which automation can be used by different types of
8. Does automation replace manual testing?
There can be some functionality which cannot be tested in an automated tool
so we may have to do it manually. therefore manual
testing can never be repleaced. (We can write the
scripts for negative testing also but it is hectic task).When we talk about
real environment we do negative testing manually.
9. How will you choose a tool for test automation?
choosing of a tool deends
on many things ...
1. Application to be tested
2. Test environment
3. Scope and limitation of the tool.
4. Feature of the tool.
5. Cost of the tool.
6. Whether the tool is compatible with your application which means tool
should be able to interact with your appliaction
7. Ease of use
10. How you will evaluate the tool for test automation?
We need to concentrate on the features of the tools and how this could be benficial for our project. The additional new features
and the enhancements of the features will also help.
11. What are main benefits of test automation?
12. What could go wrong with test automation?
1. The choice of automation tool for certain technologies
2. Wrong set of test automated
13. How you will describe testing activities?
Testing activities start from the elaboration phase. The various testing
activities are preparing the test plan, Preparing test cases, Execute the
test case, Log teh bug, validate the bug & take
appropriate action for the bug, Automate the test cases.
14. What testing activities you may want to automate?
1. Automate all the high priority test cases which needs
to be exceuted as a part of regression testing for
each build cycle.
15. Describe common problems of test automation.
The commom problems are:
1. Maintenance of the old script when there is a feature change or
3. The change in technology of the application will affect the old scripts
16. What types of scripting techniques for test automation do you know?
5 types of scripting techniques:
17. What are principles of good testing scripts for automation?
1. Proper code guiding standards
2. Standard format for defining functions, exception handler etc
3. Comments for functions
4. Proper errorhandling mechanisms
5. The apprpriatesynchronisation
18. What tools are available for support of testing during software
development life cycle?
Testing tools for regressiona and load/stress
testing for regression testing like, QTP, load runner, rational robot, winrunner, silk, testcomplete, Astra are availalbe in the
market. -For defect tracking BugZilla, Test Runner areavailalbe.
19. Can the activities of test case design be automated?
As I know it, test case design is about formulating the steps to be carried
out to verify something about the application under test. And this cannot be
automated. IHowever, I agree that the process of
putting the test results into the excel sheet.
20. What are the limitations of automating software testing?
Hard-to-create environments like “out of memory”, “invalid input/reply”, and
“corrupt registry entries” make applications behave poorly and existing
automated tools can’t force these condition - they simply test your application
in “normal” environment.
21. What skills needed to be a good test automator?
1.Good Logic for programming.
2. Analaticalsklls. 3.Pessimestic in Nature.
22. How to find that tools work well with your existing system?
1. Discuss with the support officials
2. Download the trial version of the tool and evaluate
3. Get suggestions from peopel who are working on
23. Describe some problem that you had with automating testing tool.
1. The inabality of winrunner
to identify the third party control like infragistics
2. The change of the location of the table object will cause object not found
3. The inability of the winrunner to execute the
script against multiple langauges
24. What are the main attributes of test automation?
Maintainability, Reliability, Flexibility, Efficiency, Portability,
Robustness, and Usability - these are the main attributes in test automation.
25. What testing activities you may want to automate in a project?
Testing tools can be used for :
* Sanity tests(which is repeated on every build),
* stress/Load tests(U simulate a large no of users,which
is manually impossibele) &
* Regression tests(which are done after every code change)
26. How to find that tools work well with your existing system?
To find this, select the suite of tests which are most important for your
application. First run them with automated tool. Next subject the same tests
to careful manual testing. If the results are coinciding you can say your
testing tool has been performing.
27. How will you test the field that generates auto numbers of AUT when we
click the button 'NEW" in the application?
We can create a textfile in a certain location, and
update the auto generated value each time we run the test and compare the
currently generated value with the previous one will be one solution.
28. How will you evaluate the fields in the application under test using
We can use Verification points(rational Robot) to
validate the fields .Ex.Usingobjectdata,objectdata
properties VP we can validate fields.
29. Can we perform the test of single application at the same time using
different tools on the same machine?
No. The Testing Tools will be in the ambiguity to determine which browser is
opened by which tool.
30. Diffenece between Web aplication
Testing and Client Server Testing. State the different types for Web apllication Testing and Client Server Testing types?
whichwinrunner 7.2 versioncompatiable with internet explorer, firefox,n.n
31. What is 'configuration management'?
Configuration management is a process to control and document any changes
made during the life of a project. Revision control, Change Control, and
Release Control are important aspects of Configuration Management.
32. How to test the Web applications?
The basic differnce in webtesting
is here we have to test for URL's coverage and links coverage. Using WinRunner we can conduct webtesting.
But we have to make sure that Webtest option is
selected in "Add in Manager". Using WR we cannot test XML objects.
33. what are the problems encountered during the
testing the application compatibility on different browsers and on different
Font issues,alignment issues
34. how exactly the testing the application
compatibility on different browsers and on different operating systems is
Please Send Your Suggetion
35. How testing is proceeded when SRS or any other docccument
is not given?
If SRS is not there we can perfom Exploratory
testing. In Exporatory testing the basic moduole is executed and depending on its results, the
next plan is executed.
36. How do we test for severe memory leakages ?
By using Endurance Testing .
Endurance Testing means checking for memory leaks or other problems that may
occur with prolonged execution.
37. what is the difference between quality
assurance and testing?
Quality assurance involves the entire software development process and
testing involves operation of a system or application to evaluate the results
under certain conditions. QA is oriented to prevention and Testing is
oriented to detection.
39. how do u do usability testing,securitytesting,installationtesting,ADHOC,safety
and smoke testing?
40. What is memory leaks and buffer overflows ?
Memory leaks means incomplete deallocation - are
bugs that happen very often. Buffer overflow means data sent as input to the
server that overflows the boundaries of the input area, thus causing the
server to misbehave. Buffer overflows can be used.
41. what are the major differences between stress
Stress testing means increasing the load ,andcheking the performance at each level. Load testing means
at a time giving more load by the expectation and cheking
the performance at that leval. Volume testing means
first we have to apply initial.