Industry standard protocols for example HTTP and ODBC are explicitly
supported by LoadRunner. Furthermore any protocol that communicates over a
windows socket can be supported.
2. What do I need to know to do load testing in addition to knowing how to
use the Load-Runner tool?
In addition to knowing the tool :
- Management aspects of Load Testing, Planning being paramount
- Requirements gathering, Profile/Mix, SLA, Acceptance Criteria....
- an general understanding of the protocol you are working with, developers
can be unhelpful
- a basic understanding of C programming
- know that you WILL be working with diminishing timescales and you are
really at the END of the lifecycle
- as a result of the above you may have to work unsociable hours including
- Managers and other "Powes that be" - "Box tickers" will
not understand your plight
- You need to be able to communicate effectively at all levels with different
departments from Business to Dev to Sys Test
- voice your problems as soon as possible - Planning Planning
- Fail to Plan - Plan to FAIL
3. What can I monitor with LoadRunner?
Monitor system bottlenecks during a test run and capture and display the performance
data from every server or component.
4. How many users can I emulate with Load-Runner on a PC?
Unlimited, No dead end.,
Depends on system response. That too inturn depends on various factors like
entire system configuration etc. If system bottle necks observes in very
begining or minimum no of Vusers no further addition of vusers will be
considered unless observed bottleneck is resolved.
5. What are the Vuser components in LoadRunner?
ApplicationComponents used are client, database or additionally business
Web Server works on and through LAN,WAN,or www connection.
Application Server components are client, business server and database server
without use of www.but through Protocols like FTP.
6. Load Runner Function - How to get current system time
This function is developed to usein Mercury Load Runner peformance tool. This
main use of this functions to return the current system time at any given
point of time while load runner script is running.This functiona can be used
to report transaction times , script starti time and end time.
char * curr_hr; /* pointer to a parameter with current clock hr */
char * curr_min; /* pointer to a parameter with current clock min*/
char * curr_sec; /* pointer to a parameter with current clock sec */
long current_time, /* current number of seconds since midnight */
hr_secs, /* current hour converted to secs */
min_secs, /* current minutes converted to secs */
secs_secs; /* current number of seconds */
7. What are the reasons why parameterization is necessary when load
testing the Web server and the database server.
Parameterization is generally done to test with multiple set of data or
8. what is load runner.
Load runner accurately measure and analysis the system performance and its
9. when load runner is used.
When multiple users work concurrently.
10. what are the advantage of using load runner.
1-loadrunner automatically records the performance of the client/server
during test. 2-loadrunner checks where performance delays occur
network/client delays. 3-loadrunner monitor the network and server resource
to help the improve performance.
11. what is scenario.
A scenario defines the events that occur during is testing session. Exam
(deposit cash, withdraw money…).
12. what is the vuser in the scenario.
Load runner replace the human user with vuser.
13. what is vuser script.
While run a scenarion every vuser execute a script that script known as vuser
14. what the vuser script contain.
The vuser script include the function that measure and record the performance
of the server during the scenario.
15. what is transaction.
Transaction measure the time which takes for the server to respond to task
submitted by the vuser.
16. what is rendezvous point.
To emulate peak load on the server.
17. when the rendezvous point is insert.
When multiple vuser to perform tasks at exactly the same time then insert the
rendezvous point to emulate the peak load on the server.
18. what is load runner controller.
Controller is manage and maintain the scenario . using controller you control
all the vuser in single work station .
19. what is Host.
Host is machine which execute the vuser script.
20. what are the load runner testing process.
There are 5 steps.
1-planning the test.
2-creating the vuser script.
3-creating the scenario.
4- running the scenario.
5-analysis the test result.
21. what is planning for the test.
Define the performance testing requirements for example no. of concurrent
users, typical business processes and required response time.
22. what do you mean by creating vuser script.
Creating vuser script for emulate the action that virtual user Perform during
the scenario execution.
23. what are the process for developing a vuser script.
There are 5 steps for developing a vuser script.
1-recording the vuser script .
2-edit the vuser script.
3-runtime setting .
4-run the vuser script in stand-alone mode.
5-incorporate the vuser script into a load runner scenario.
24. how to create a scenario?
We have to install load runner controller to the host . Then we include list
of host(where vuser script execute) then list of vuser script (where vuser
run) and then list of vuser that run during the scenario.
25. what do you mean by Remote Command Launcher(RCL).
Rcl enables the controller to start the application on the Host machine .
26. what is load runner Agent.
Agent is interface between host machine and controller.
27. how you load a load runner Agent.
Controller instruct the remote command luncher to lunch the Agent .
28. how many types of vuser are available.
There are several type of vuser(GUI ,Database ,RTE(terminal emulator), SAP,
DCOME, People soft, java, Baan)
29. what is GUI vuser and on which platform it will run.
GUI vuser operate graphical user interface application and it can run in
either the MS-Windows / X-Windows environment .
31. what is MS-windows.
Win runner used for MS-Window application .
32. what is X-Windows.
X-runner and VX-runner for X-Windows application.
33. what is load runner API function.
Data base vuser do not operate client application .using load runner API
function the database vuser can access the data from the server.
34. how you develop the database vuser script.
Developing the database vuser script either by recording with load runner
vuser script generator (VuGen) or by using load runner vuser script template.
35. how many section database vuser script have.
3 section ,written in code that assemble in C, SQL call to the database,
written in TSL(test script language).
36. how you enhance the basic script.
By adding control-flow, structure, by inserting transaction point and
rendezvous point, adding functions
37. what is run-time-setting.
Run-time-setting include loop.log and timing information.
38. what is stand-alone mode.
To verify that the script runs correctly.
39. what type of function generate and insert by the vugen to the script
when you record a script.
obtain the information about vuser running in a scenario .
41. what is protocol function.
Obtain the information about the type of vuser.
42. what are the section contain by the vugen while creating a vuser
Vugen contain the 3 section .
43. what is vuser-init section.
Record a log in to the server(vuser initialize loaded).
44. what is action section.
Record the client activity .
45. what is vuser-end section.
Record a log off in to the server (vuser stoped).
46. how vugen create a vuser script.
By recording the activity between client and server.
47. how you edit the script.
While editing the script we have to inserting the transaction point and
rendezvous point .
48. what is the load runner start-transaction and its syntax.
It will start the transaction on the script. Syntax.
49. what is the load runner end transaction and its syntax.
It will end the transaction. Syntax. Lr-end-transaction("transaction
50. where you insert the rendezvous point.
Rendezvous point insert in to the script to calculate the peak load of the
server. Syntax. lr-rendezvous("rendezvous name").
51. what are the element in the load runner controller.
Title bar(name of the scenarion presently working). Menu bar(selecting the
various command). Tool bar. Status bar.
52. what are the 5 icons appear in the buttom of the controller windows.
1-host windows(list of machine).
2-script windows(list of all the vuser script)
4-transaction windows(display all the transaction) .
5-output window( display error and notification message).
53. what is .lrs.
Load runner save the information in a scenario files.
54. what is scenario wizard.
Through scenario wizard we can create a new scenario.
55. what is filtering and sorting.
We can filter the information display only those items that meet the selected
criteria(filter box) .exam you can filter vuser only those who are in ready
state. Sorting - we can sort all the vuser in the vuser list. In order to
their vuser ID(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9).
56. what are the information crating for each host.
1-the status of the host.
2-the platform type of the host(windows/unix).
3-details of the scenario.
57. how to create a host list for a scenario.
1-install remote command luncher on every machine.
2-add the name of the host to the host lists.
3-set attributes for each host.
4-select which hosts will take part in the scenario.
58. how to modify the host attribute.
59. what the host attributes determine.
1-the maximum number of vuser that host can run.
2-the initialization quota .
3-the location of the win runner configuration file.
4. the location of the file during run-time.
60. how you set maximum number of vuser that a host can run.
We can modify the maximum number of vuser according to the (available
resource , the needs of your scenario, load runner license agreements).
61. what do you mean by initialization of quota.
Capabilities of the host that at a time how many vuser Are initialize .
62. when the load runner controller open the win runner file then what is
the location of the winner configuration file.
63. what is scenario default.
Instruct the vuser to use the win runner configuration file.
64. what is local configuration file.
Instruct the vuser to use hosts win runner configuration file.
65. what do you mean by path.
Use win runner configuration file that is in a specific location on the
66. during run time where the hosts saves the files.
In temporally in the local drive of each host.
67. what is script list.
It contain all the vuser script that vuser can run.
68. what are the information contain by script windows for each script in
1-name of the vuser script .
2-the type of the vuser.
4-command line option.
69. how to modify the script.
Using vuser script information dialog box.
70. what is the purpose of running the scenario.
To check the response time of the client/server system under load.
71. why we insert the rendezvous point while running the scenario.
If a multiple vuser to perform a tasks at exactly the same time.
72. when a scenario run exactly what happened.
1-The controller check the scenario configuration information.
2-then next it invoke the application that you select to run with the
3- then transform each script to its related hosts, when the vuser are ready
they start execution.
73. how to run a scenario.
Open an existing scenario .
Configure the scenario.
Set the result directory.
Run the scenario.
74. when you initialize the vuser what happen.
The vuser status change from DOWN to PENDING to INITILIZAING to READY. If
vuser fails to initialize , the vuser status changes to ERROR.
75. what is pause command.
It changes the status of the vuser from RUNNING TO PAUSE.
76. what is running virtual user graph.
It displays the number of the vuser that execute vuser script during each
second of the scenario run. Only running and rendez state are
include.(loading, ready and pause are not displayed).
77. what is report viewer?
Each report viewer contain the report header and report viewer tool bar.
78. what is report header and what are the information contains.
It display general scenario information and it contain the information like
(title, scenario, result start time, end time and duration).
79. what is rendezvous graph.
It indicate when vuser were released from rendezvous point and how many vuser
are released from each point.it help the transaction performance time .
80. what is transaction per second graph(pass).
It display the number of complited , successful transaction perform during
each second of scenario run.
81. what is transaction per second graph(pass).
82. what in percentile graph.
The percentage of transaction that were performed within a given time range.
83. what is transaction performance graph.
Display the average time taken to perform transaction during each second of
the scenario run.
84. What is 'Correlation' in Loadrunner?
85. How do we do the correclation?
86. What are all the types of correlation?
Manual & Automatic Co-relation
Manual correlation - Correlation is used to obtain data which are unique for
each run of the script and which are generated by nested queries.
Automatic correlation is where we set some rules for correlation. It can be
application server specific. Here values are replaced by data, which are
created by these rules.